212 total views
Agriculture contributes primary portion to the India’s economy ans it is the major source of livelihood for the about 58% of India’s population. Also, India is the major producer of many crops such as wheat, rice other also.
There is a huge chances of growth in this and India possess immense potential to enhance this. So, this led to the growth of various career opportunities in the agriculture industry. One of them is Agriculture Officer.
Let us further discuss who are Agriculture Officer and how to become agriculture officer and the Qualifications needed to become agriculture officer.
Who are Agriculture Officers?
The Agriculture officers are experts who cooperate with farmers and help them grow successful crops, such as wheat, rice, soybeans, corn, cotton, etc. . Agriculture officers use chemistry, biology, economics, geology, ecology, and genetics knowledge to test agricultural products. The agricultural officer position is one of the most prominent and well-paid roles in the agriculture industry. Some core responsibilities of an agriculture officer are:
Roles and Responsibilities of Agriculture Officer
- An Agriculture officer plans to organize and supervises all farmers and agricultural farms.
- They are responsible for managing the farm effectively and the department’s operation with expertise in technical matters.
- The officer has to ensure that local and state laws and all agriculture practices and products are in place.
- His primary job is researching, testing, and analyzing all aspects of an agriculture farm.
Other Responsibilities are:
- inspecting horticulture goods and livestock for illnesses, pests, and growth rates.
- checking farming procedures to ensure they comply with regulatory requirements.
- taking samples from soil, plants, animals, and other farm products, storing and sending them to laboratories for testing, coordinating with scientists to prevent diseases in animals producing reports based on their observations.
- evaluating crop-growing practices and safety standards and overseeing the farm’s profitability.
Career Opportunities in Agriculture Science
A huge number of opportunities are available in this sector. It will surely help you have a better idea about it, and accordingly, you can start with it. Given below paragraph will guide you about how to become agriculture officer
You may continue your education while focusing on courses like biology and chemistry. If your school offers an elective course in agriculture science, you can take this as it will help develop advanced skills.
Bachelor’s Science Degree in Agricultural Engineering / Agriculture, or a degree in Biology & Agricultural Science.
By studying this, you would gain a comprehensive understanding of agricultural science, integrated pest management, agricultural business, animal science, soil science, and plant physiology.
Also, if you go for an internship, that will help you more when you give your agricultural officer exam. Make sure to work in a starting position where you can attain the right exposure. It will ultimately help you to develop industry knowledge and experience and help you in starting your career as an agriculture officer.
After completing your degree program and initial work experience, you need to decide where you want to work – in your preferred state or outside as you may choose to work in a specific condition, which may have its guidelines and requirements. If you want to work in a particular agriculture sector, you may need to complete an additional exam after earning your bachelor’s degree.
You should consider researching the area and industry you want to work in to ensure you meet the specific requirements.
Here are some of the standard exams you might need to complete that will help you become an agriculture officer:
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research All India Entrance Examination (ICAR AIEF)
- Institute of Banking Personnel Selection Specialist Officer Exam (IBPS SO)
- Staff Selection Commission (SSC)
- Food Corporation of India (FCI)
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD)
You have to pass the entrance exams of these institutions, and you should also meet the eligibility requirement as provided by them. Ensure your CV reflects your most recent experience, training, and certifications. Private roles can be applied directly, and government roles can be applied through exam processes.
Best Colleges for Agriculture in India
These are some colleges best for agriculture in India-
- ICAR-Indian Agricultural Research Institute, Delhi
- G. B Pant University of Agriculture & Technology, Pantnagar
- Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana
- Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences & Technology of Jammu
- Chaudhary Charan Singh, Haryana Agriculture University, Hisar
- Jayashankar Telangana State Agricultural University, Hyderabad
- Tamil Nadu Agricultural University
- Kerala Agricultural University
- Jawaharlal Nehru Krishi Vishwa Vidyalaya, Jabalpur etc.
Agriculture officers, also known as Agriculture Specialists in specific locations, can earn ₹31,955 per month, sometimes even Rs. 40000 to Rs. 80000 depending on the department or division he works for. Salaries can depend on education, training, location, and experience. Also, your employer or company can affect your salary. Central government institutions tend to pay better than state government departments.
You can develop various hard and soft skills, which will ultimately help you to become an agriculture officer. Apart from the practical knowledge about physics, chemistry, and biology, there are a variety of other skills you would need to become an agriculture officer, like decision-making abilities, computer understanding, interpersonal communication, and technical knowledge.
The agricultural officer is a respectful job and a matter of reputation and pride. This employment as an agriculture officer will inculcate immense learning in you, and you will be able to lead a financially secure and stable life, even after your retirement.
Apart from this post, there are many career opportunities in this sector. Agricultural Science is one of the best careers for students who dream of getting a government job with a good salary package.